Sunday, March 17, 2013

things that i miss

I am so glad that I have my two sweet little boys. I can't imagine my life without them and I wouldn't trade being with them for anything in the world. I remind myself of that when the floor is covered in cheerios, the laundry basket is overflowing and I haven't seen the bottom of the sink all week. Before becoming a parent I feared what I would be giving up, especially freedom. Then when I met my son(s) and discovered the whole new, indescribable, life-changing kind of love that is parenthood, everything changed. Sacrifice didn't feel like sacrifice. I would do anything for those two little sweethearts, even if they never said thank you or even "mama." And yet...there are things I miss. This is just off the top of my head. It's not meant to be a complaint, just a recording of part of this season of my life. So here it is: I miss sitting in a coffee shop, reading and enjoying a good book or conversation. I miss games nights/get-togethers with friends. I miss "craft time". I miss movie/date night. I miss Taiwan style hair washes. I miss being able to sit for a whole meal. I miss earning money to live on. I miss being free to do lots of ministry. I miss running. I miss having two hands to type. I miss having a moment to think. I miss having extended prayer/Bible/journaling times. I miss having the option of sleeping in if I'm sick or tired. I miss hiking monkey mountain. I miss going in Taiwanese stationary stores. I miss being able to cook something if I wanted to without putting small peoples' lives in danger. I miss spending more than 5 minutes getting ready. I miss handwriting letters to family or friends. I miss having free hands to serve others. I miss getting around town on my scooter. I miss night markets. I miss studying Chinese. I miss sitting through a church service. I miss holding my husband's hand. I miss getting a good night's sleep. I miss feeling successful in my life. I miss being able to be spontaneous. I miss carrying just a small purse. I miss reading. Ok, I'm sure there's more, but that's enough for now. Once again, I don't say this to complain, but I'm sure all the parents out there can relate and I'm sure all those who are not parents can learn more about what it's like to be one. And now that I've gotten that all out I do feel better! I know it's just a season. Though it may be a very long season indeed. Until then, see you sporadically! (shameless Clueless reference)

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I wish I could be there to help you watch your boys so you could go out to do what you miss doing for an hour or longer.